Final Game #4: Conclusion

The final game that I have produced is called Gravity Shift. The game is a 2D Platformer Game revolving around changing gravity. The player will progress through levels, avoiding obstacles to reach a checkpoint, while using the gravity switching mechanic to help.

In my final game, I have included common features of platformer games, such as lives, coins, moving platforms and triggers.

Introduction:
I chose to produce a 2D Platform game, because I enjoy playing that genre of games, and felt I would have fun producing this. I took inspiration from games such as Super Mario Bros and Sonic the Hedgehog for concepts such as harmonic motion platforms, coin pickup, lives/hearts, and end of the level.

What went well:
In my game, I feel that I have been able to demonstrate a range of different physics mechanics demonstrated in class, along with another physics mechanic which was not demonstrated in class.

In total, I feel that I have demonstrated ten concepts in total:

  • Distance 
  • Displacement 
  • Velocity 
  • Acceleration 
  • Gravity 
  • Harmonic Motion 
  • Projectile/Parabolic Motion 
  • Friction (sloped platforms) 
  • Local velocity on harmonic motion (not demonstrated in class) 
  • Drag for water masses.


I felt really happy with the outcome of all of the physics concepts, and I felt they all worked successfully.


What issues did I encounter?
One of the main issues I experienced during development, was working out how to add local velocity on a player, while standing on a harmonic motion platform. Originally, the player was able to jump onto a platform, but it would be forced off by the harmonic motion force. In the end, the best option was to make the player a child of the platform on collision, and keep existing velocity and player movement.


What could be improved?
In my game, I feel I could add some further ideas to help improve the game. I have noticed a couple of bugs throughout the levels where the player becomes stuck on walls and blocks, and this may delay the player movement.

I could add some barrels or floating platforms to my game which could float on water/fluid. From this, I could add some interesting concepts such as an increased mass on the platform when the player jumps onto it.

I would also be interested in adding platforms which become affected by gravity when the player jumps onto it. I could improve the game on a visual scale, as the current graphics are really simple. If I updated the graphics of the game, it could help the end user experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Game #3: Friction Resistance, Momentum and Local Platforms

Final Game #1: Distance, Displacement, Acceleration, Velocity and Gravity